Trade Data Analysis

Guinea-Bissau: Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile

Guinea-Bissau: Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile

Login required to download these files.

This Trade Data Update provides an overview of Guniea-Bissau’s intra-African trade relationships, both within the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and with other individual African countries; the top import and export products traded; and applicable tariffs.

Intra-Africa trade

Guinea-Bissau’s trade composition with Africa is quite concentrated, with the country exporting only one product group, while imports are relatively concentrated although not as exports. Guinea-Bissau has a trade deficit with Africa. In 2017, intra-Africa exports were valued at US$ 400 million while imports were over US$ 26 million. Intra-Africa exports account for 0.2% of Guinea-Bissau’s global exports while intra-Africa imports account for 15% of Guinea-Bissau’s global imports.

Virtually all exports were destined to the ECOWAS state – of Ghana which accounted for 99% intra-Africa, while the remaining 1% was accounted for by Ghana. These two countries accounted for all of Guinea Bissau’s exports.

In terms of import sources, Senegal was the main source accounting for over 86% of Guinea-Bissau’s intra-Africa imports. Morocco; and Gambia accounted for an additional 8.3% share of Guinea-Bissau’s intra-Africa imports. These top 10 countries had a combined intra-Africa import share of almost 99% in 2017.

The only export product was coconuts, while top imports included structures of bridges; passenger vehicles; rice; and machinery used for mining, among others. Guinea-Bissau’s top 10 intra-Africa imports accounted for 81% of its total intra-Africa imports.

Intra-Africa tariff analysis

Guinea-Bissau is party to ECOWAS and CEN-SAD. However, no preference is given to CEN-SAD members unless they are also member of ECOWAS. ECOWAS has a CET in place as already highlighted.

With the exclusion of ECOWAS, Guinea-Bissau’s total intra-Africa imports were valued at about US$ 259 000 in 2017 which is equivalent to 1% of Guinea-Bissau’s total intra-Africa imports. Of all products imported, the average tariff rate was about 13%. Main products Apples & Pears; Furniture; Electrical accumulators and equipment for building and carpentry, among others. Top 10 imports from these countries accounted for 93% of Guinea-Bissau’s non-REC intra-Africa imports in 2017.

Downloads

Guinea-Bissau: Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile | December 2018
Infographic: Guinea-Bissau – Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile | December 2018
Guinea-Bissau: Intra-Africa trade data spreadsheet | December 2018

* A user account is required to download these files. Registration to the tralac website is free of charge and for monitoring purposes only.