Trade Data Analysis

Liberia: Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile

Liberia: Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile

Please login to access the files below.

This Trade Data Update provides an overview of Liberia’s intra-African trade relationships, both within the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and with other individual African countries; the top import and export products traded; and applicable tariffs.

Intra-Africa trade

Liberia’s trade composition with Africa is relatively concentrated in a few products in terms of both exports and imports. Liberia has a trade deficit with Africa. In 2017, intra-Africa exports were valued at US$ 173 million while imports were about US$ 374 million. Intra-Africa exports account for 89% of Liberia’s global exports while intra-Africa imports account for 29% of Liberia’s global imports.

The bulk of exports were destined to destinations unknown – which accounted for 91% share, highlighting the challenge of access to quality reliable data. The fact that the products are exported gives less incentives to the customs authority to record information as there is little to no revenue collection involved. Top 10 export destinations accounted for 99% of Liberia’s total intra-Africa exports. Other top destinations include Ivory Coast and Mali.

In terms of import sources, Ivory Coast alone accounted for 88% of Liberia’s intra-Africa. South Africa; Sierra Leone; Ghana and Egypt accounted for an additional 8% share of Liberia’s intra-Africa imports. The top 10 countries had a combined intra-Africa import share of 96% in 2017.

Intra-Africa tariff analysis

Liberia is party to ECOWAS and CEN-SAD. However, no preference is given to CEN-SAD members unless they are also member of ECOWAS. ECOWAS has a CET in place as already highlighted.

With the exclusion of ECOWAS, Liberia’s total intra-Africa imports were valued at about US$ 20 million in 2017 which is equivalent to 5% of Liberia’s total intra-Africa imports. Of all products imported, the average tariff rate was about 10%. Main products Frozen fish; motor vehicles; fresh fish; apples and electrical transformers, among others. Top 10 imports from these countries accounted for 72% of Liberia’s non-REC intra-Africa imports in 2017.

Downloads

Liberia: Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile | December 2018
Infographic: Liberia – Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile | December 2018
Liberia: Intra-Africa trade data spreadsheet | December 2018

* Registration to the tralac website is required in order to download these files. Registration is free of charge and for monitoring purposes only.