Trade Data Analysis

Cape Verde: Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile

Cape Verde: Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile

Please login to access the files below.

This Trade Data Update provides an overview of Cape Verde’s intra-African trade relationships, both within the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and with other individual African countries; the top import and export products traded; and applicable tariffs. Data is sourced from the UN International Trade Centre (ITC) TradeMap and World Trade Organisation (WTO) Tariff databases. The update is accompanied by a visual representation of key data and trends in an infographic.

Intra-Africa trade

Cape Verde’s trade composition with Africa is relatively concentrated in a few products in terms for both imports and exports, albeit exports are more concentrated. Cape Verde has a trade deficit with Africa. In 2017, intra-Africa exports were valued at US$313 000 while imports were over US$31 million. Intra-Africa exports account for 31% of Cape Verde’s global exports while intra-Africa imports account for 28% of Cape Verde’s global imports.

The bulk of exports were destined to ECOWAS states – Senegal (28%); Ivory Coast (19%) and Togo (16%) – with Morocco as the only non-REC state in the top four with a share of 19% in 2017. These four countries had a combined share of 82% of Cape Verde’s exports. Top 10 export destinations accounted for 97% of Cape Verde’s total intra-Africa exports. Other top destinations include Egypt, Ghana, Equatorial Guinea, Algeria, South Africa, and Cameroon.

In terms of import sources, Angola alone accounted for 79% of Cape Verde’s intra-Africa imports in 2017. Côte d’Ivoire, Cameroon, and Ghana accounted for an additional 20% share of Cape Verde’s imports. These four countries had a combined import share of 99% in 2017.

Top export products included Prepared or preserved fish; Flours, meals and pellets, of meat or meat offal; Leather; and Saddlery and harness for any animal, among others. Top 10 products accounted for all (100%) of Cape Verde’s total intra-Africa exports. Top imports on the other hand included Petroleum oils; Cigars, and cigarettes; Automatic data-processing machines; and Petroleum gas, among others. Cape Verde’s top 10 intra-Africa imports accounted for 79% of its total intra-Africa imports.

Intra-Africa tariff analysis

Cape Verde is party to the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) only although currently it does not participate in the ECOWAS common external tariff (CET). Therefore, ECOWAS members enjoy preferential access to Cape Verde, however, Cape Verde’s MFN tariffs are different to the ECOWAS CET applied by other ECOWAS members.

With the exclusion of ECOWAS, Cape Verde’s total intra-Africa imports were valued at about US$10 million in 2017 which is equivalent to 32% of Cape Verde’s total intra-Africa imports. Of all products imported, the average tariff rate was about 15%. Main products include Petroleum oils; Mixtures of odoriferous substances; Petroleum gas; and Cane or beet sugar. Top 10 imports from non-ECOWAS countries accounted for almost 74% of Cape Verde’s intra-Africa imports in 2017.

Downloads

Cape Verde: Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile | September 2018
Infographic: Cape Verde – Intra-Africa trade and tariff profile | September 2018

* Registration to the tralac website is required in order to download these files. Registration is free of charge and for monitoring purposes only.